2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

How to create a Custom Font to be used with Custom Font Script

GIMP Tutorials
Forum rules
Tutorials must be created by you and your own idea.
If you got idea from elsewhere and revised your own version of tutorial, please include reference and credit original authors.
For example if you found a Photoshop tutorial and wanted to write a GIMP version, you must credit the original Photoshop tutorial.
tim
GL Blogger

How to create a Custom Font to be used with Custom Font Script

Post#1 by tim » 14 Oct 2016, 21:06

The steps below is how to create a Custom Font .xcf to be used with 1. Custom Font Script on gimpchat.com or 2. Custom Font (scheme Script) on GIMP LEARN forum (release 16)
The .xcf defines a custom font. So follow these details.
  1. You must create .xcf with many layers, each layer define each character you want to have.
  2. The layers must be named like for example "A.png","B.png","C.png" (without the quotes) to define letters/characters "A", "B", "C".
  3. Similarly, layers named "a.png","b.png","c.png" ... would define lowercase letters/characters "a","b","c"...
  4. Similarly, a layer that defines the space character must be named " .png" (that has a space, dot, then png) Which is probably just an empty layer with some transparent space.
  5. If your layer has too much extra empty space. You can make a rectangle selection for example around the letter "A" and then go menu "Layer", then "Crop To Selection".
  6. Optionally, if you have a letter that has decorations going to the left/right that you'd like to include with the letters but you do not want the decorations to be part of the width definition of the letter so that the decorations will show up when you use the Custom Font Script but you don't want the decoration to be spaced out, you can define the width of your letter by creating a path/vector with the same name as the layer (ie. "A.png" and draw a simple 2 point path/vector (a line) that can go from the left of where the letter A starts, to the right of where the letter A ends). The script will then consider this path/vector the width of the letter "A".
  7. Kerneling: For letter combinations that you'd like to place closer together for example when A follows V you want A to be closer to V. You can do this by defining a vector named "VA.png", this will tell the scripts/plug-ins that whenever we find A after V, use this vector definition. Draw a line vector that starts of V (on the left) and ends at about where you want V to end and where A to start. When A follows V so maybe 2/3 the width of actual V instead of the usual width of V so that A starts closer/earlier to V so that A is closer to V when the script/plug-ins render the text.
That's it. You can save this file as .xcf and can be used by the Custom Font Script.

Note: You'll have to put letters like a, b, c or A, B, C higher up in the layer and letters like g, y right on the baseline of they layer, so that when the script runs it'll have your characters line up vertically, the best way to do this is to have all characters having the same layer height and put characters like g, and y touching the bottom while other characters sit higher up. Turn layer on/off to see if the characters line up right vertically.

Once you have your characters created and aligned on different layers on top of each other, you might want to use Auto Crop Resize To Selection Height Script to aid in the layer cropping process.

You can also use this Font to Layers Script to aid in starting a new custom font file.
aka Tin

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#2 by Wallace » 15 Oct 2016, 20:50

So that's how it's done?
Last edited by Wallace on 16 Oct 2016, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 15 Oct 2016, 21:37

Wallace wrote:So that's now it's done?
What do you mean? You already know this! :D I just wrote this step by step because Pat was asking me so i thought why not write it down too.
aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by Pat625 » 15 Oct 2016, 22:58

:D Thank you very much, Tin, Rod,Wallace and many others who are helping to make the Custom Fonts. :)

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 15 Oct 2016, 23:08

You're very welcome Pat, it gives us the opportunity to add content to the forum(s).
aka Tin

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#6 by Wallace » 16 Oct 2016, 00:23

admin wrote:
Wallace wrote:So that's now it's done?
What do you mean? You already know this! :D I just wrote this step by step because Pat was asking me so i thought why not write it down too.
I was joking. But I do like the way you explained the process. ;)

tim
GL Blogger

Post#7 by tim » 16 Oct 2016, 01:21

:oops: I just noticed i had 3 steps with 3. on there heeh so bad at proof reading
aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#8 by Pat625 » 17 Oct 2016, 01:51

Tin, I see that you used the Custom Font "Shattered" that Rod did using your script for the Gimp Learn icon. It really looks nice. Another use for the Custom Fonts done in Gimp.!!

trandoductin
Forum Member

Post#9 by trandoductin » 17 Oct 2016, 01:56

Thanks Pat!
I want to have more rotating logos. If you'd like to contribute, just post your contribution to this thread -> GIMP LEARN GL logo rotating images
T.
please don't message me, message tim(admin) instead as I am tim(admin). I don't check this account very often.
To message tim(admin), click here. Thanks.

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#10 by Pat625 » 17 Oct 2016, 02:01

Do you want logos only? What are the size requirements?

Do you want different Banners also? Again, if so, what are the size parameters?

GIMP/GL:  🡆 Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic