2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Beads Pattern Script (for Perlers) in GIMP

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
tim
GL Blogger

Beads Pattern Script (for Perlers) in GIMP

Post#1 by tim » 18 May 2018, 07:15

This script will generate a beads/perler pattern for any image of your choice (using any combination of beads from Hama, Nabbi, Perler, Artkal) so that you can use it for your perler projects.

After creating Generate Cross-stitch pattern script and sharing it on youtube, someone on there wanted something similar for perlers/beads. The person on youtube suggested i use this as color information for beads

Requested by søren christiansen in the comment section of this youtube video.

So I altered the script to work for perlers. If you find this script useful or like to share photos of your perler finished projects (here in this topic/thread) using this script, I love to hear about it or see them photos of your finished projects.
Here's the script (Turn any image into a perler/beads pattern):
beads_tt.zip
zipped .py file (unzip and put in your GIMP's plug-ins/ folder) (Tested in GIMP 2.8)
(8.16 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
beads_tt_for_GIMP_2.10.zip
zipped .py file (Intended for GIMP 2.10, Tested in Linux Ubuntu on GIMP 2.10 flatpak installation)
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
beads_tt_for_GIMP_2.10(3).zip
version 3. (GIMP 2.10) Added Delta-E color matching method.
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
beads_tt.py
version 4. Changed to UTF-8 encoding so that it would run on Windows.
(27.33 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
beads_tt.py
version 5. Added beads count to beads info. Tested on Windows/GIMP 2.10.8
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
beads_tt.py
version 6. for GIMP 2.10.X. Added interpolation option for scaling (as sometimes "None" looks better than "Cubic" depending on image/taste).
(27.86 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Script Menu Location: Python-fu/Beads Pattern..

Script Options:
Beads_Pattern_Script_Options.jpg
Beads_Pattern_Script_Options.jpg (96.33 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Instructions:
  1. Have you image opened, with active layer.
  2. Run script (Python-fu/Beads Pattern...). Change options as you wish. then click "OK" to run script.
  3. You'll get 2 new images. One is the pattern for beads, you can turn off/on layers to your liking to see whatever you wish. The other one is the perl/beads information like which code goes with what pearl.
  4. (Optional) Share photos of your finished perler projects in this topic/thread.
Sample run:
thread_bead_original.jpg
thread_bead_original.jpg (94.5 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
thead_bead_pattern.jpg
thead_bead_pattern.jpg (410.83 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
thread_bead_pattern_zoomed_in.jpg
thread_bead_pattern_zoomed_in.jpg (148.26 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
thead_bead_pattern_with_white_overlay_layer_turned_off.jpg
thead_bead_pattern_with_white_overlay_layer_turned_off.jpg (397.32 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
thread_bead_info.jpg
thread_bead_info.jpg (20.6 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
Video showing me using the script (a little long but only because my computer is so busy running other programs in the background but i think would be good for beginners who might not know how to use the script)

To get a closer visual of what your finished project looks like you can try the Beads Look Script for GIMP (Visual only, no beads information or coded pattern).
aka Tin

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#2 by Issabella » 18 May 2018, 13:56

Thank you Tin.
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 18 May 2018, 18:07

You're welcome Issabella,
Hopefully some perlers will use this and share photos of their finished projects with us.
aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#4 by Pat625 » 18 May 2018, 21:07

Really great! I haven't done Perling but I would think this script would be of great use and help to those who do!!

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 19 May 2018, 02:57

Just updated with version for GIMP 2.10 (to support those who are brave enough to venture in the front line).

What I found out through testing (a lot of testing in 2.10) was that even though i set set sample threshold to zero (0), the code still selects more than the single exact color, from the front end, select color seem to be okay but in code it didn't do what i expected. I selected 2 colors instead of one so I had a bug where for my sample image it would show color 1 and color 6 overlapping (because it didn't select a single color so when it tried to select color 1 it would pick up color 1 and 6 and mark them as 1 then when time came to pick color 6 it would also pick up color 1 and 6 so it would mark them as 6 so i ended up with the pattern showing 1 and 6 overlapping).

For the 2.10 version I had to work around that by instead of selecting color, i filled a layer with the color and use difference mode
then even selecting pure black (meaning no difference) still picked up colors that were close to black, so I had to hack around it by making new from visible (of difference) then threshold between 1/255 and 255/255(or 1) to pick up only black and turn everything else white so it wouldn't be picked up by color select then color selected pure black from the threshold and used that selection. So it's a bit slower but I am happy it works.
aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#6 by Pat625 » 19 May 2018, 08:18

Wow, Tin. Sounds like 2.10 is a lot of work!

tim
GL Blogger

Post#7 by tim » 10 Jun 2018, 15:52

aka Tin

Mapsking
Forum Member

Post#8 by Mapsking » 17 Jan 2019, 19:12

I posted in the other thread, and all of my other python scripts show up, and work fine, but this one, no matter what I do, I can't seem to find it. Does it work on Gimp 2.10.8 for Windows? If so, how do I run a script in the console? Am I going about it wrong? It does not show up in the console>browse, nor does it show up in the plug-in browser, but it definitely is there. I'd like to be able to use this plugin, but can't figure out if I am doing something wrong, or if maybe the script needs to be updated?

tim
GL Blogger

Post#9 by tim » 18 Jan 2019, 16:43

I don't know how to run in from console, but it should show up under Python-Fu (top menu, not the Python-Fu under Filters) then Beads Pattern...
aka Tin

Mapsking
Forum Member

Post#10 by Mapsking » 20 Jan 2019, 11:16

Pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly do you mean when you say top menu? The only place I see Python-Fu is under filters, so maybe I am looking in the wrong place? Where exactly would I find that? Are you just talking about the regular menu bar? File, Edit, Select, etc.? If so, I do not have a Python-Fu menu, it goes from Filters to Script-Fu.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic