It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 14:00

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

BIMP Drop Shadow problems

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Lenny
Forum Member

BIMP Drop Shadow problems

Post#1 by Lenny » 10 Mar 2020, 19:31

I've hit a wall in my capabilities. I have 3300+ files for which I have to scale, canvas resize, and add drop shadow. The files are all 145x145px rounds. For the sake of simplicity, here I am using a blank white disc. Here is the manual work:
Posting1.jpg
Posting1.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
I found BIMP, and installed it. Using it, I can scale and resize canvas successfully, but the drop shadow will not work. I assumed it was because the output file had an active selection and an active layer border. However, I opened the output files and manually performed "select none" and "layer-to-image-size", then save, and then again ran drop shadow in BIMP on these files (also tried gc-shadow in BIMP separately). The drop shadow still will not work in BIMP for me.

Manual attempts for drop shadow using drop shadow filter or gc-shadow filter both work on these files, but will not work properly in BIMP. It seems BIMP is creating layers I don't need or want.
Posting2.jpg
Posting2.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Is there something I'm missing? Can this be accomplished in a batch script? I'm not familiar with command line stuff.

I am running windows 10 (64) and gimp 2.10.12, if it matters.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#2 by Lenny » 10 Mar 2020, 19:35

I forgot to mention that these are xcf (GIMP) files.
GIMP Learn rocks...

No avatar
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#3 by rich2005 » 11 Mar 2020, 09:25

BIMP has a list of restricted terms, which is why many procedures do not appear under other Gimp procedure. Then of course no GEGL functions.

For resizing canvas etc, better to write your script and call that from BIMP. I am not that clever, so there is often a work-around with what is available.

I suggest using the gmic plugin www.gmic.eu That has a drop shadow filter that might do what you want. There is a setting in gmic that writes the filter parameter to a log file, use that in BIMP Might go like this:
(1) Resize 145x145 -> 148x148
(2) Apply gmic dropshadow
(3) Crop back down to 158x158
drop-shadow.jpg
drop-shadow.jpg (112.17 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
The .bimp file attached. Unzip it, You can load that in BIMP. It is just a text file, can be edited. Just an example, might be some use. Works here but no guarantees.
shadow.bimp.zip
(482 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
A comparison: Shadow is a little clipped, not so easy with that 158x158 pix requirement ;)
compare.png
compare.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#4 by Lenny » 12 Mar 2020, 20:28

Thank you, rich2005, for your time and expertise. As I've said before, I am trying to learn, and here are the things I learned from this experience:

1. To think outside of the box. I was stuck on doing my workflow in this order, resize, increase canvas size, then drop shadow. No matter the BIMP settings, it didn't work. rich2005 introduced the drop shadow as the second step. I never would have done that, as I thought I needed to provide room for the shadow first. Thank you - you saved me tons of time. As you will see below, the opacity of the shadow gave me trouble on majority black images, and when lightening the shadow, gmic moved the image from it's borders.

2. The BIMP gmic-qt functions require a command string. As rich2005 mentioned, this command string is produced via a log file selected in settings/other in the gmic-qt function itself. See below.

3. The BIMP is incredibly powerful and fast. I was able to perfectly resize, apply drop shadow, apply negative offset to clean up the drop shadow gaps, and crop a folder's 79 images in a minute or so. I will be able to finish the 3300 files in under an hour.

Many of you probably already know these things, but I hope documenting them will allow newbies like me to find easier ways to do things. This website has helped me tremendously. Thanks Tin.

Here is the workflow for solving the issues in section 1. above:
BIMPWorkflow.jpg
BIMPWorkflow.jpg (123.44 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
BIMPWorkflow2.jpg
BIMPWorkflow2.jpg (109.72 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Here is the information to support item 2 above:
BIMPgmicFunctionCommandString.jpg
BIMPgmicFunctionCommandString.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
Last edited by Lenny on 12 Mar 2020, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#5 by Lenny » 12 Mar 2020, 20:55

Deleted
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP